Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Kingsroad: Avocado Tuna Salad

"I'm a Timelord, you're a big fish... Think of the children!"
Doctor Who, The Vampires of Venice

For our second installment, we decided to take on the low-cal lunch with an Avocado Tuna Salad.

Final product.  It tastes WAY better than it looks here.
Now, I am generally not much of a cook when it comes to lunch, because it always seems like too much of a hassle.  Oftentimes, I will just heat up some veggies or have some tuna mixed with red wine vinegar, but this was so simple, I may be persuaded to make lunch for Stoney and I more often.

I don't know about you, but I love tuna, and I love avocado.  Combined?  Sounded like heaven.  And guess what?  It tastes like heaven, too!  Combine that with the fact that it is only around 145 calories per 1/2 cup serving and I'd say we have a winner.

So what do you need?

Your ingredients


  • 1/2 red onion
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 1 red delicious apple
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 3 2 oz. packets of tuna (I used this )
  • 1 TBSP pickle juice
  • 1 TBSP spicy brown mustard
  • 1 pinch of coriander*
  • 1 pinch of chili powder*
  • 1 pinch of salt and pepper
  • 1 avocado
*Alternatively, use one big pinch of cumin.

I ended up prepping most of this the day before, but I waited until the morning I was planning to eat it to put in the avocado, so that it didn't turn brown overnight.  

So to start, dump the tuna into a mixing bowl and chop up the apple, onion, and celery.  Once they are diced, throw them in the mixing bowl.  Add the other ingredients, minus the avocado, and stir until the mustard and other seasoning is mixed in thoroughly.  

Like so


Next, peel and core the avocado, and mash it into a paste with a fork.  Add said paste to the mixing bowl, and stir until the avocado paste has combined with all of the tuna mix.

And voila!  You are done.  It took me about 30 minutes to make.  I did the tuna mix during my lunch break and the avocado-mashing before work.  At Stoney's suggestion, I also cooked up some Pillsbury Crescent Rolls to use as bread to put them on.  Those crescents are tiny, though, and only fit about 1/4 cup of tuna salad on them, so eater beware!



No comments:

Post a Comment