Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Blood Magic: Vegetarian Borscht



Stoney and I have been on a vegetable kick lately, and I decided to make a vegetarian version of one of my favorite soups: Borscht!  I've made borscht in the past using the stovetop, and while it's always delicious, it's a pain in the neck to make.  The solution?  Crock pot it!  I also had the vitamin to help me puree up some of the recipe, so that was an extra plus.

What you need:


  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 4 small celery stalks
  • 4 small daikons, peeled and chopped
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 leek, diced
  • 3 beets, peeled and chopped
  • 2 14oz. cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 potato, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 medium green cabbage, shredded
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • Optional toppings: yogurt or sour cream; horseradish or dill

To begin, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet and then sauté the garlic, onion, celery, carrots, and daikon, seasoning with salt and pepper. Once everything has softened, pour it into a blender along with one can of tomatoes and puree it.




Next, sauté the leeks in the skillet that you used for the onion mixture, adding a little more oil if necessary.



 Put your puree in the slow-cooker, and then add in the other ingredients (except the optional garnishes).


Let it cook on low for 6-8 hours (or on high for 3-4).  I had planned to whip up some horseradish yogurt to serve it with, but I forgot yogurt at the store, so that didn't happen, but I still maintain that it would be outrageously delicious.  Sour cream and dill would also be a tasty addition.


No comments:

Post a Comment