Monday, January 12, 2015

Green Men: Roasted Asparagus Soup

What about this: a tribe of asparagus children, but they're self conscious about the way their pee smells.
Elf.



After Christmas was over, I decided to go ahead and get myself another gift: a Vitamix!  I've been wanting one of these babies for quite some time now, and I finally pulled the trigger.  I couldn't be happier with my decision.  I think I am actually in love with an inanimate object.  This delicious roasted asparagus soup was my first vitamix recipe, and it was great.  In retrospect, I would probably leave a few spares of asparagus out of the blender, cut them up, and then stir them into the blended soup at the end, just to give it a little more texture.

What you need:
  • 2 lbs. Asparagus
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp cashew butter
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • Salt, to taste

First, preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Grease a pan and lay out all of your asparagus spears.  Once the oven heats up, throw the asparagus in for about 8 minutes.  Take the tray out, rotate your spears, and add onion and garlic to the baking tray.  Roast for another 6 minutes or until everything looks sufficiently roasted.



While everything is roasting, put the broth and cashew butter into the blender. When your veggies are done, toss those in the blender, too.  If your blender has a hot soup setting, you can use that, otherwise blend for about 8 minutes on high to make it hot.  If you don't have a vitamix or blendtec, worry not.  Just blend everything together, transfer to a sauce pan, and heat the mixture up.  

When the soup is nice and hot, place it in bowls, and pour (or squeeze) some of that lemon juice in.

No comments:

Post a Comment